The Faculty was established in 1943 on the basis of the Almaty Medical Institute as a sanitary and hygienic faculty by order of the USSR NKZ No. 234 of May 14, 1943. From 1964 to 1985, he was a member of the Karaganda Medical Institute. Since 1985, it has been a part of the Medical University of Almaty again. In 2004, by the decision of the Academic Council of the Faculty (Protocol No. 2 of 12.10.2004), on the basis of renaming the specialty “Hygiene and Epidemiology” to “Medical and preventive medicine”, the faculty was renamed the Medical and Preventive Faculty. Since September 2013, it has been transformed into the Faculty of Public Health.